Data Validation and governance

LongIslandEVs

Not sure how good of an idea it is to have the markers open for public editing. While we'd like to use the honor system in a perfect world, this is leaving the door open for malicious tampering.

Supercharge.info does not allow public editing of any markers. Every change is discussed on the Forum, verified with screenshots/photos, and posted on the map by an administrator.

This is how it works here too.

If you add a marker to the map, it's for your own use only. It does not become public (it's used for creating custom routes, which is a semi-useful feature, although one that's probably better done with tools like abetterrouteplanner.com, but it existed in the supercharge.info code, so it persists here).

I did add a "Submit Update" capability to this site, but that basically just comes to a site editor for review. Those updates do not become live until approved by an editor. I even created a system that tracks approvals/rejections for those updates so that submitters can establish a "reputation".

Whether this will become a permanent addition, I'm not sure, but some updates seem well handled by this kind of system without the need for a forum post. But yes, my expectation is that many updates should be discussed and evidence presented in a forum post before the update is accepted, much as is the policy on supercharge.info.

As this community is just starting out and I'm the only editor, my policy for now is to independently research submissions myself, and follow up (if possible--anonymous change proposals are permitted for now) with the submitter if questions arise (this is mostly hypothetical since I've only received one batch of updates so far). As the community grows, and additional site editors are added, I expect to formalize the procedures. I have an idea in my mind how it should work (largely based on how supercharge.info works), but will leave it up for discussion among the early users and major contributors to this site to hammer out the details. I anticipate a sticky post or even a dedicated About page entry will describe the procedures.

Back