Several new PLANNED stations added based on ADECA grants

lpickup

Administrator
Staff member
Many new DCFC sites have been awarded grants from the Alabma Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA). See https://adeca.alabama.gov/wp-conten...icle-Projects-Awarded-as-of-August-2021-1.pdf

There are numerous Plugshare entries (I probably did not get them all) created (probably entered using the referenced document as a source). I have likewise added the stations I have found as PLANNED stations on this site.

Be on the lookout for permits or signs of construction in these areas, and notify me via the appropriate forum threads of any change in status.

Last edited:
The first one is already open.

It's in Fort Payne.

In fact, there was an opening ceremony a week ago.

Are you referring to this one: Fort Payne Improvement Authority | PlugShare

Talk on the TMC forum suggests that that station is not part of the ADECA grants, but rather a TVA funded station...and the Plugshare comments seem to back that up. Plus the address doesn't agree.

The ADECA grant document lists the Fort Payne station as:

Fort Payne Improvement Authority - $45,500 for a two-bay charging station at 406 Third Street in Fort Payne.

Sure enough, 406 3rd St SE is actually the Fort Payne Improvement Authority office and is located several blocks away from the station above. I wonder about the $45,500 cost though. Most of the other 2-bay stations mentioned in the ADECA document are listed at $140K+, which seems more reasonable. So I see a couple different possibilities:

• The $45,500 was combined with the TVA money to pay for the ChargePoint stations at 501 Gault St
  • The $45,500 is actually for 2 L2 stations. Would be phenomenally expensive, but I have seen these grants be very high in the past, mainly because these entities don't know enough about the industry to shop around and get a reasonable cost.

So maybe the first option is likely. Given your proximity, do you have any better information?

Last edited:
lpickup" pid="7813" dateline="1643983305 said:
Are you referring to this one: Fort Payne Improvement Authority | PlugShare

Talk on the TMC forum suggests that that station is not part of the ADECA grants, but rather a TVA funded station...and the Plugshare comments seem to back that up. Plus the address doesn't agree.

The ADECA grant document lists the Fort Payne station as:

Fort Payne Improvement Authority - $45,500 for a two-bay charging station at 406 Third Street in Fort Payne.

Sure enough, 406 3rd St SE is actually the Fort Payne Improvement Authority office and is located several blocks away from the station above. I wonder about the $45,500 cost though. Most of the other 2-bay stations mentioned in the ADECA document are listed at $140K+, which seems more reasonable. So I see a couple different possibilities:

• The $45,500 was combined with the TVA money to pay for the ChargePoint stations at 501 Gault St
  • The $45,500 is actually for 2 L2 stations. Would be phenomenally expensive, but I have seen these grants be very high in the past, mainly because these entities don't know enough about the industry to shop around and get a reasonable cost.

So maybe the first option is likely. Given your proximity, do you have any better information?

So I am presuming that you are not familiar with these Volkswagen settlement grants.

The grants are for up to 80% of the cost of the charging station.

Fort Payne Improvement Authority, which is a subsidiary of the TVA, is paying the rest of the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mockingbird" pid="7817" dateline="1644010170 said:
So I am presuming that you are not familiar with these Volkswagen settlement grants.

The grants are for up to 80% of the cost of the charging station.

Fort Payne Improvement Authority, which is a subsidiary of the TVA, is paying the rest of the cost.

Merely commenting on the difference between the amount awarded for that particular 2-stall site vs. the other 2-stall sites. It's only about 1/3rd of the amount.

The address shown on the grant listing does not match the address of the Plugshare entry that I assume you are referring to, so the question in my mind is whether the Plugshare entry (I'll call it the Depot Museum) is in fact the same as the one listed in the ADECA document for 406 Third Street, or if there will actually be a separate fast charger installed at 406 3rd St SE.

Even though you didn't conclusively answer that question above, it sounds like that is likely the case and we needn't bother looking for additional permits in Ft. Payne.

Last edited:
Back