Tesla CCS Adapter for Sale in US

That is CCS to Tesla. I want the opposite, Tesla SuperCharger to CCS. I wonder how long the wait for that will be.

That is CCS to Tesla. I want the opposite, Tesla SuperCharger to CCS. I wonder how long the wait for that will be.
All reports online suggest it won't be coming until next year sadly. It's been speculated Tesla themselves will be making the NACS Supercharger to CCS adapter. I don't think each brand will manufacture their own adapter.

The 9-month delay is probably so Tesla will be able to scale production of the adapter and also get more Supercharger sites ready for non-Teslas.

All reports online suggest it won't be coming until next year sadly. It's been speculated Tesla themselves will be making the NACS Supercharger to CCS adapter. I don't think each brand will manufacture their own adapter.

The 9-month delay is probably so Tesla will be able to scale production of the adapter and also get more Supercharger sites ready for non-Teslas.
Thanks for that info. 9 months is not bad considering the number of CCS chargers that have been dead for more than a year.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I guess I don't see the point of this, at least for now.

In order to activate the Supercharger, you would need to use the Charge a Non-Tesla function on the Tesla app, but the only sites where this is enabled are the ones with magic docks anyway. So what would be the use case for this?

I suppose that eventually, once there are Fords and GMs and other vehicles that are bringing their own adapters that Tesla will support charging non-Teslas at non-magic dock sites, but at least for now, this is not the case. And who knows if that will be the mechanism they will use, or whether the truly approved (not with an asterisk) adapters or vehicles themselves will automatically authenticate to the Supercahrger, a la Plug & Charge.

I guess I don't see the point of this, at least for now.

In order to activate the Supercharger, you would need to use the Charge a Non-Tesla function on the Tesla app, but the only sites where this is enabled are the ones with magic docks anyway. So what would be the use case for this?

I suppose that eventually, once there are Fords and GMs and other vehicles that are bringing their own adapters that Tesla will support charging non-Teslas at non-magic dock sites, but at least for now, this is not the case. And who knows if that will be the mechanism they will use, or whether the truly approved (not with an asterisk) adapters or vehicles themselves will automatically authenticate to the Supercahrger, a la Plug & Charge.
I was wondering the exact same stuff.But I alos noticed these words:

"No restrictions : Compatible with Tesla Superchargers and NACS 3rd party DC chargers in North America."

What do they mean by "no restrictions" ? I was hoping somebody here had some answers. Like you, I only have questions.

-Don- Barstow, CA (returning from 8 MPG ICE gas-hungry RV trip).

That there is marketing words!

Buyer beware.

I presume they mean it's electrically compatible, but that doesn't mean it will actually charge your vehicle.

That there is marketing words!

Buyer beware.

I presume they mean it's electrically compatible, but that doesn't mean it will actually charge your vehicle.
Could be. . . .

Or could Tesla be ahead of us on this? Or do you know "the only sites where this is enabled are the ones with magic docks anyway. " is a fact for today?

Perhaps that is just my wishful thinking that these will work now or very soon on all Tesla Superchargers.

My other concern is will these require the newest Tesla Superchargers or will they even work with the older versions?

-Don- Barstow, CA

Last edited:
Could be. . . .

Or could Tesla be ahead of us on this?
It's not impossible, but if that were the case, why would a third party be the first to roll out an adapter that is somehow sanctioned by Tesla? Tesla's M.O. is to usually shut down third parties and/or produce such things internally. I'll put it in the "highly unlikely" category.

Or do you know "the only sites where this is enabled are the ones with magic docks anyway. " is a fact for today?
At a minimum there would need to be some kind of authentication and payment mechanism set up, otherwise you will plug in and nothing will happen. So how would that work with these adapters? Other than using the app to remotely authenticate and turn on the specific Supercharger stall (and the only ones accessible via the app in this fashion are the ones that have magic docks installed), the only other possibility would be some kind of identifier in the adapter, or a set communications protocol that would send the car's unique ID (VIN) to the Supercharger. I have no doubt that this will eventually be how the non-Tesla vehicles that use adapters will work, but that would still require setting up an account with Tesla (establishing a payment method) and providing a mechanism to tie the unique ID in the adapter or the vehicle to that account. As far as I know, this doesn't exist yet, so yes, I would say that this is a fact today. That said, it probably won't be too long before there is a solution, but it's not here yet.

Perhaps that is just my wishful thinking that these will work now or very soon on all Tesla Superchargers.

My other concern is will these requite the newest Tesla Superchargers or will they even work with the older versions?
My best guess is that they will only work with V3 Superchargers, and even then, there will have to be at least a software update (although this is not a huge deal).

My best guess is that they will only work with V3 Superchargers, and even then, there will have to be at least a software update (although this is not a huge deal).
Right. From what I have read V2s (and Urban chargers) only support the Tesla protocol and will never be available to CCS cars.

I've also heard that older Teslas that need the Tesla protocol (or don't have CCS enabled) won't be able to charge with 3rd party NACS chargers when they become available.

At a minimum there would need to be some kind of authentication and payment mechanism set up, otherwise you will plug in and nothing will happen. So how would that work with these adapters? Other than using the app to remotely authenticate and turn on the specific Supercharger stall (and the only ones accessible via the app in this fashion are the ones that have magic docks installed), the only other possibility would be some kind of identifier in the adapter, or a set communications protocol that would send the car's unique ID (VIN) to the Supercharger.

I will be VERY surprised if the adapters are anything more than passive, passthrough devices for power and data streams. I expect the authentication will be done between the car and Tesla's hardware directly without involvement for the adapter. That's the way it works with the CCS to Tesla adapter currently.

I've also heard that older Teslas that need the Tesla protocol (or don't have CCS enabled) won't be able to charge with 3rd party NACS chargers when they become available.

This is accurate. They will not know how to talk to the NACS stations using the CCS backend protocol.

I also noticed these words:

"Requirements :

• For CCS1 port equipped vehicles
  • Any NACS (Tesla) level 3 (DC) charging station"
Is there a chance that "any" really means "any"?

I will probably buy one just to be the Guinea pig and I will report back here and let you know if it does anything useful anywhere. I don't mind blowing the $200.00. But I will wait until it is really available which should be around another month. Perhaps there will be more news on this by then.

-Don- Barstow, CA

On a side note, I found out that there is a FW update for my Energica motorcycles so they will charge better from the Magic Dock and I will then charge at the 24 KW instead of the 8 KW. It also improves CCS incompatibility issues. Hopefully, such as the ones I had in Yuba City.

-Don- Barstow, CA

"Requirements :
  • For CCS1 port equipped vehicles
  • Any NACS (Tesla) level 3 (DC) charging station"
Is there a chance that "any" really means "any"?

As noted above, Tesla is a walled-garden and even with an adapter, we can only charge on their V3s/V4s/Magic-Docks at their discretion.

...And later when EVs start having NACS ports installed, you guessed it, only at Tesla's discretion (at least for DC Fast charging). I wonder, will non-Tesla NACS support L2 charging on a Tesla Destination (are those even NACS?) handle? I certainly hope so.

Last edited:
Sounds like we need to adopt using the term "NACS" to refer to the standard Tesla connector that communicates via the CCS-like PLC protocol, and "TPC" (Tesla Proprietary Connector") to refer to the legacy Tesla connector that uses the Tesla proprietary standard (this would include pre-V3 Superchargers and any chargers outfitted with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (i.e. EVgo stations). Of course V3 and beyond Superchargers technically support both, but that is beside the point. If we designate a connector as TPC, that means it will not work with Tesla->CCS adapters, and a connector designated as NACS will not work with older Teslas without a hardware upgrade to make them compatible with NACS.

As for Don's question about whether "any" means "any", I think the answer is if you can find a way to enter your payment method to pay for the charge, then it should work. But unfortunately Tesla Superchargers do not really have this capability (yet), so you are likely out of luck (for now).

Sounds like we need to adopt using the term "NACS" to refer to the standard Tesla connector that communicates via the CCS-like PLC protocol, and "TPC" (Tesla Proprietary Connector") to refer to the legacy Tesla connector that uses the Tesla proprietary standard (this would include pre-V3 Superchargers and any chargers outfitted with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (i.e. EVgo stations). Of course V3 and beyond Superchargers technically support both, but that is beside the point. If we designate a connector as TPC, that means it will not work with Tesla->CCS adapters, and a connector designated as NACS will not work with older Teslas without a hardware upgrade to make them compatible with NACS.

As for Don's question about whether "any" means "any", I think the answer is if you can find a way to enter your payment method to pay for the charge, then it should work. But unfortunately Tesla Superchargers do not really have this capability (yet), so you are likely out of luck (for now).
Maybe there will be a way to communicate with Tesla for payment. IOW, enter charger number and use the Tesla account to charge your non-Tesla regardless of location. Then Tesla activates it for you remotely, perhaps from two thousand miles away from any of the chargers you're trying to use.

I do not see any reason why it must be paid for right at the same charger. This is almost year 2024, we certainly have the technology and the demand for better charging system ideas.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back