Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Notice: Upcoming period of inactivity
#1
A couple of items:

First, I will be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow, and therefore I will not be able to make any updates for the next two weeks.  So if you see a sudden drop in activity, that is the reason.

In addition, earlier this week, EVgo unceremoniously removed "all" (not really sure if it was all, but it was a huge number, around 900) of their stations from the Alternative Fuels Database, where I get most of my data from.  Unsurprisingly, a few days later they all came back, but by then my software had already stripped the AFDC id #'s from the database entries, and now they all need to be added back in with their new id #s.  Since the number of these kinds of updates I get are usually less than 10 a week, I don't have an automatic process to do this (and this isn't really something you would want to automate anyway), so need to manually go in and approve each update.  It is just two mouse clicks, but going through 900 will still take some time.  Plus, if there are any other differences in the entry (GPS location, number of stalls, etc.) that don't agree with what's currently in the database, I then need to reverify the information.  This is the part that's going to take a lot of time, particularly since EVgo's entries miscount the number of stalls.  In their defense, they annotate their AFDC entries with the number of CONNECTORS, not STALLS, and since a large number of their stations have dual connectors, they typically overcount the number of stalls.  I only count a dual-headed station as two stalls if there are actually two dedicated parking spots, and typically this involves looking at Plugshare photos of the site (if any).  As you can imagine, this is fairly labor intensive.  Fortunately I put a comment in when this happens, but it still requires more work.

EVgo has also been updating AFDC with an indication of their stations that are temporarily closed.  While I applaud this effort, it does cause additional workload on my part as this is another database inconsistency that must be resolved.  Oddly enough, upon verifying it with Plugshare and EVgo itself, I've found that the update in AFDC is not always accurate.  Sometimes the station is actually NOT closed, and sometimes it's not actually open once EVgo marks it as open.

I'm not trying to be a go to site for checking on station status...in my view, when I mark something as CLOSED TEMPORARILY, that would be for a longer term (many weeks) type closure, not down for a few days.

Anyway, all this coming together all at once is going to mean somewhat of a delay in getting the database updated over the next few weeks.  I apologize for that, but hopefully in a few weeks I can get caught up.
Reply
#2
(09-22-2022, 11:35 AM)lpickup Wrote: A couple of items:

First, I will be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow, and therefore I will not be able to make any updates for the next two weeks.  So if you see a sudden drop in activity, that is the reason.

In addition, earlier this week, EVgo unceremoniously removed "all" (not really sure if it was all, but it was a huge number, around 900) of their stations from the Alternative Fuels Database, where I get most of my data from.  Unsurprisingly, a few days later they all came back, but by then my software had already stripped the AFDC id #'s from the database entries, and now they all need to be added back in with their new id #s.  Since the number of these kinds of updates I get are usually less than 10 a week, I don't have an automatic process to do this (and this isn't really something you would want to automate anyway), so need to manually go in and approve each update.  It is just two mouse clicks, but going through 900 will still take some time.  Plus, if there are any other differences in the entry (GPS location, number of stalls, etc.) that don't agree with what's currently in the database, I then need to reverify the information.  This is the part that's going to take a lot of time, particularly since EVgo's entries miscount the number of stalls.  In their defense, they annotate their AFDC entries with the number of CONNECTORS, not STALLS, and since a large number of their stations have dual connectors, they typically overcount the number of stalls.  I only count a dual-headed station as two stalls if there are actually two dedicated parking spots, and typically this involves looking at Plugshare photos of the site (if any).  As you can imagine, this is fairly labor intensive.  Fortunately I put a comment in when this happens, but it still requires more work.

EVgo has also been updating AFDC with an indication of their stations that are temporarily closed.  While I applaud this effort, it does cause additional workload on my part as this is another database inconsistency that must be resolved.  Oddly enough, upon verifying it with Plugshare and EVgo itself, I've found that the update in AFDC is not always accurate.  Sometimes the station is actually NOT closed, and sometimes it's not actually open once EVgo marks it as open.

I'm not trying to be a go to site for checking on station status...in my view, when I mark something as CLOSED TEMPORARILY, that would be for a longer term (many weeks) type closure, not down for a few days.

Anyway, all this coming together all at once is going to mean somewhat of a delay in getting the database updated over the next few weeks.  I apologize for that, but hopefully in a few weeks I can get caught up.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sites dropping off the AFDC and coming back later with a different ID has been an issue for a while. That's really a drag that it happened to hundreds of EVgo stations all at once.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)